For Youth Leaders & Teachers
Helping You Teach Orienteering
We’re currently working on 3 different manuals to help you get started in orienteering, so stay tuned! We expect these to be ready by fall 2022.
- How to make a simple orienteering map (in the meantime, check out our mapping page)
- How to design a simple orienteering course
- How to teach beginners to orienteer
Orienteering Lessons Plans & Games
The Athlete Development section of our website has great info on orienteering skills and it includes a bundle of lesson plans and game outlines.
Resources We Recommend
We think you'll like them too:
- Alberta Orienteering’s Orange marks the spot outdoor program
- A great list of School Resources from our friends at Orienteering USA
- The Canadian-based Learn Orienteering website
- Orienteering USA's Youth Mapping Program (YMP) guide to orienteering activities
- The International Orienteering Federation has a collection of education focused orienteering resources from around the world
- And check out the resources on our Getting Started page.
Looking for orienteering equipment?
Your best source in Canada for orienteering equipment is o-store.ca, a family run business based on Ottawa. o-store.ca is a partner of Orienteering Canada. They have a great selection of equipment and books.
Check out these great resources for beginning orienteers
A look at your first orienteering event
Illustrator and Writer Howie Woo created this great cartoon describing his first experience at an orienteering event.
Handy reference guides to help you get started in orienteering
These reference guides help you understand control descriptions, read orienteering maps and give you pointers as you get started in orienteering.
All About Orienteering Info Sheet
A handy two-pager that outlines the basics of orienteering
Great website for orienteering basics
The learnorienteering.com website by Linda Hildebrandt of Victoria covers the orienteering basics.